Thursday 6 October 2011

My first blogging task.


Rather than choosing a specific piece of art work from The New Art Gallery Walsall, I have decided to focus on the background of Theodore's disturbed mental health; by researching his letters and written pieces. I am interested in how dark and deep his writing is due to his diagnosis of schizophrenia, yet there's an unmissable intelligence that is very abrupt throughout. As soon as I saw the first piece of Theodore's scribblings in a book kept in The New Art Gallery's archive, I was captured by his thoughts and feelings. He appears to have led a troubled life, in which I am interested in fully researching. The two photographs above are examples of Theodore's writing, which I find very interesting. The first one "People rifle through your stuff making connections you would not have dreamt of," creates the idea of people making assumptions of personal belongings or artworks of Theodore's, which were incorrect. Many people, myself included can relate to this quote, as everyone interprets things differently. I also believe that this creates a sense of his intelligence and shows how he thinks. The second image "London is London - time is time - money is money - hahaha," is quite a sinister opinion. It's almost eery whilst reading his words, especially after the previous quote. It's almost as if Theodore is revealing what he believes and is laughing at whom ever is reading it. This to me really shows signs of his illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment