Sunday 6 November 2011

Analysis of Exhibition.

After the initial 'Holding on; Letting go' project, I then produced a second life for it. I developed my practice from changes within nature to the concept of time. Alongside my Second Life Exhibition, I have created a blog which documents the changes of a tree through time. Each week I will photograph the same tree and present it on a blog. This is a one-year project, therefore it will portray the effects and development throughout seasons. 
For my exhibition  I researched several artists interested and influenced by similar subjects. Andy Goldsworthy, Nina Katchadourian and Tehching Hsieh are among the most important in my project. During my researching process, I experimented with guerrilla gardening, photography and shadow work. All of which help me express time and evolvement.
My first piece is 'Mud balls.' Basically myself and some friends went on a walk across some fields and I collected all of the mud from the bottom of our shoes; where I then created balls of mud. Instead of presenting them solo, I decided to accompany them with a dustpan and brush. I changed the dustpan and brushes surface by spray painting and scratching away, to suggest time and worn out. I removed every bristle in the brush and replaced them with twigs, to create the effect of recycling and re-creating. This is similar to the work of Nina Katchadourian and her spiderwebs. The concept of this piece was the journey we endured and the documentation of changes. 
My second piece was a cup of flowers. Again I involved the aspect of recycling, therefore I placed the flowers into a cup and covered it in spray painted paper. I didn't spray the cup itself, as I wanted to achieve a manufactured effect. I produced  the flowers and painted them silver and black to suggest decay. To link both pieces together, I also took the pebbles from the first piece and included them into thee second. The concept of this piece is to show the decaying of nature through time.

No comments:

Post a Comment