Tuesday 15 November 2011

Irony within anorexia.

After a lot of thought of what path I'd like to go down, I have decided to include an ironic aspect into my work. Firstly I shall be looking at irony within anorexia. I will also work with some recycled materials, as that's what I enjoyed the most from my current practice. One of my favourite pieces of artwork that is ironic is by Banksy; a British graffiti artist. It's called 'I don't believe in global warming.' Obviously the reason why I like this is because of the blatant irony implied and how effective the statement is in it's context. 


Anorexia Nervosa:
Anorexia Nervosa, also known more simply as anorexia, is a mental illness and potenially a life threatening disease. It is characterised by self-starvation and exessive weight loss. Usually, a person with anorexia has 15% less body fat than usual. Extreme weight loss can cause dangerous health problems and in some cases death. 
A lot of people believe that those who suffer with anorexia are self destructive. This however is not always the case. Some people enduring an anorexic lifestyle, merely can't allow themselves to eat. As earlier stated, this is a mental illness and can progress even if weight is not an issue. 
People with anorexia nervosa often use food and eating as a way to gain a sense of control when other areas of their lives are very stressful or when they feel overwhelmed. Feelings of inadequacy, low self-esteem, anxiety, anger or loneliness can also contribute to the development of the disorder. Others affected by eating disorders may have troubled relationships, or have a history of being teased about their size or weight. Pressure from peers and a society that equates thinness and physical appearance with beauty can also have an impact on the development of anorexia nervosa.



Anorexia plays a huge role in many people's lifes. To me it is an interesting subject and I want to approach it from a different perspective. This is where I will include a ironic aspect.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          


No comments:

Post a Comment