Wednesday 2 November 2011

Photography and Fine Art.

I am currently producing a mini photography project alongside my other work. From analysing several ways of working with photography, I narrowed it down to two responses; Intervention and Landscape/Location. Due to many reasons these interested me the most, therefore I had to again narrow it down to one. Below is my thought process on both topics.

Intervention:
Wim Delvoye, 'Out walking the dog' 2000. Civic typography. Grand idea. Mixture between public and private. Can use photo manipulation. David Shrigley, 'Ignore This Building' 1998. Adam Chodzko, 'Better Scenery' 2000. Finchley Road, London. Describes how to get to the Arizona sign and vice versa. Offers an escape. Nina Katchadourian, 'Mended Spiderweb #19' 1998. Responding to natural breakage.
Landscape/Location:
Naoya Hatakeyama, 'River Series/Shadow #050' 2002. Interested in urban spaces, especially at night. Sets camera looking down onto Tokyo river. Light on water. Poetic like. Almost painting in itself.  10 minutes, same spot and rephotographs it. Andrew Gursky, 'Untitled XIII' 2002. Large format, negatives. Scans to manipulate. Viewer far away from subject. We feel God like. No focal point. Immaculate consistancy. Richard Long, 'Walking in a line in Peru' 1972.

Although both ways of working are relevant towards my general practice, I have came to the desicion of basing my project around 'Landscape/Location.'

No comments:

Post a Comment